Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tribute to Dad

The Schreck Family

Well, it has been quite a week. We went to Dad's memorial service on Sunday. It was full of laughter, tears, and family. Josh and Em were able to fly in and all the grandkids were there except for Jessica and Alli who was unfortunately to sick to fly. We had a family pizza party Saturday night and spent the evening sharing our memories and stories of dad. The service on Sunday was a beautiful memorial of song, scripture, and a tribute of a life well lived. Dad was always prepared and well organized in his life and it was no exception in his death. I asked Mike if dad forgot about anything and if there would be a blessing like they did in the Bible. He said he didn't know. While staying at mom and dad's we learned that dad had left a note on his desk that the family had just found. It said the following:

"To My Grandchildren:
Trust in God and treasure his written word - read it daily - if no more than a chapter of Proverbs a day it will reveal God's likes and dislikes to you.
Work - If you are working for someone you need to give your best effort every day. If you find that you can not do this, find a job where you can. A job that you want to do every day - as for the Lord."

After we read this Mike turned to me with tears in his eyes and said, "That was the blessing". I don't think I can add any more to that.

2 comments:

Em said...

now you make me cry but i'm glad you posted :) i still have to post about my trips

maryb said...

Well, Deb, I am going to have to become a follower of your blog. These are simply wonderful. And, your blog on Dad's memorial made me cry,too. Thanks for the memories!! I love you.