Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oh Baby, Baby!

The Lord has been gently nudging me over the last 3 years to do some volunteer work.  I wanted to do it, but really didn't know how to go about it.  I looked into it in GA and was going to volunteer for a christian organization that was similar to Goodwill, but quite honestly, I never got around to it.  Then the move happened and life was in such chaos, that I just didn't think that I could do it with everything else.  Well, the "nudging" never really stopped so one day I started looking online for something that I could do.  I found 2 organizations that interested me.  One is called, "Birthright of Columbia" and one is called, "Learning Ally".  The need for Birthright was for baby booties or office work.  I could do both, and would enjoy both.  The Learning Ally is books for the blind or dyslexic and since I love books this one really interested me.  I inquired about both. The Learning Ally would be making recordings of books. I would love to do this, but I will have to invest in a pair of headphones with a USB port before I can try it.  I didn't hear anything back from the first, but thought I better try out making a pair of booties before I give them away!  I used to crochet many years ago, but hadn't done it in a long while.  Conveniently, my crochet hooks were in a box that was accessible (still trying to find things from the move!) so I took them out and bought some yarn.  I am a big pinterest fan and loved all the beautiful booties I had seen there.  I found a few free patterns online and got busy.  Had a few mistakes, and I was a bit rusty, but just like riding a bike, it came back to me:>  I dropped my first attempts off  2 weeks ago and learned a little bit more about the needs of this organization.  The person I left a message for did return my call.  I will hopefully be able to learn a little bit more when I take my next batch in.
Pretty little slippers!
Booties!
First "collection":>







2 comments:

MBeates said...

That is awesome, Deb! Your crocheting is beautiful, too. I have got to learn!!

Em said...

Love this and you!