Sunday, January 16, 2011

Frugal Living


So, it's the New Year and while I don't make resolutions, I have decided to try to live more frugally in the new year.  Part of this is due to circumstances, and part is that I just want to see if I can use and or reuse, or as the new term seems to be "upcycle" things I already have.  You know the thrill of getting something on sale?  Well, I got something for free that I just love!  I have been perusing craigslist and scored this incredible free chair!


It rocks and is leather.  This picture was taken before it was cleaned up.  It cleaned up so well, I thought about just keeping it the way it is, but my original intent was to have it recovered so I will probably do that.  What do you think?  Should I keep it the way it is or recover it?  Anyway, I was so excited with my find that I have been checking craigslist out everyday.  It is amazing what people are giving away for free.  My next frugal option for this year was fabric.  Before we moved, I cleaned everything out, including my crafts.  I had tons of fabric that I just got rid of at a yard sale.  I haven't been crafting very much for the past several years.  I used to do it a lot when the kids were little and I really enjoyed it.  However, as the kids grew up finding time to craft just wasn't an option.  Well the kids are pretty much gone now, and my fingers are itching to get back to sewing and projects.  I found several patterns online that I wanted to try, but I didn't have any fabric.  Soooo, I went to Goodwill yesterday to see what I could find and guess what?  Low and behold, a huge bag of quilting scrap fabrics for $2.92 and another bundle of fabric for $2.12!  I am so excited!  I now have some great scraps. 


 The first project I want to make is a lavender dryer sachet.  I found the directions online here:  http://backyardfarming.blogspot.com/2010/08/dryer-sachets-diy.html
  Josh and Alli sent me a bag of lavender for my birthday, so once I get the fabric washed, I'm set to go.  When I get it finished I will post a picture.  You would be amazed at all the free projects there are online.  I also want to make a tea wallet, bag, regular wallet; the list goes on and on!  I will try to post all my endeavors once they are finished, but only if they turn out:>

Do you have any suggestions, directions, or ideas for fabric scraps?  Let me know, I might want to make whatever it is.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You HAVE to let me know when you get the chair finished. I would love to see it.

~marisa

Debbie Schreck said...

I will be sure and post some pictures. Do you have any suggestions on fabric? I would love to find some at the Goodwill.