Monday, January 17, 2011

Lavender and Flowers

I love the smell of lavender.  It's fresh, crisp, and clean and it just makes me feel good.  Today I did my first Goodwill fabric project.  I made 3 lavender dryer sachets and 1 small sachet for my dresser drawer because I had just a little bit of lavender left.  Fortunately for me, the fabric was already cut in strips and with nice straight lines!  A benefit of "used" fabric!
 Here's what I did:

Cut one 3 1/2 inch strip to make it 3 1/2 inches x 6 1/4 inches.  Folded the fabric in half and sewed a 1/8 inch seam on all three sides leaving a space in the middle of one long side for an opening to turn the fabric and stuff it. I double stitched everything to make sure it was nice and sturdy.  I then trimmed the corners, turned the fabric and ironed it.  I took a funnel, inserted it into the opening and filled the pillow with 3/4 cup of dried lavender.  Then I sewed the opening shut.  The little sachet was done the same way, but the measurements were 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches.

I wish you could be here to smell how wonderful it is.  I love this idea!  Mike is not to thrilled with the thought of his clothes smelling like lavender.  Maybe I can just use them on my sheets and towels?!  Next Goodwill fabric project:  A purse/bag.



I also wanted to share a picture of the beautiful Amarylis we are fortunate enough to have.  Mom Schreck gave us this beautiful gift for Christmas and they just started blooming on Friday.  I hope they brighten your day like they do mine!  Thanks, Mom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job, and your scored finding those cute fabrics at the thrift store!

Em said...

love the flower pic!