Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Square Foot Garden, The Box

Last year I bought a book by Mel Bartholomew entitled, "All New Square Foot Gardening".  While I didn't know where I would be living at the time, I decided when we finally moved and had a house I would try to do it.  So, that is what we have been up to for the last two weeks.  You need a square foot box to put the garden in.  You can make it any size; the ideal size is a 4 x 4 but since I decided to put it on my deck and start out small, I had Mike build me a 2 x 2 box.  We took down the pillars from the front porch as they weren't supporting the roof and I was going to take them to the dump, but my wonderful husband came up with the idea of building the boxes from the pillars.  Yeah!  Free wood!  It doesn't get better then that!
Pillars
Ripping up the pillars
Cutting the 2 x 2 size
Attaching the pieces together
Yeah, the 2 x 2 sides are done!
Cutting the plywood base 
Attaching the base 
Finished box with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage
Stay tuned for part 2 of the Square Foot Garden, the dirt.

No comments: